My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Easter Morning

“On Sunday Morning”
Rev. Carolyn Waters
Easter Day, April 8, 2007
CCUM

What is the meaning of your life?

Some people have literally driven themselves crazy asking that question. Others seem to float through their existence never pausing to wonder.

But it seems like on a day like this, on a day in which we gather to celebrate “the risen Christ” with high energy, triumphant song, and shouts of Alleluia---it’s appropriate to stop and ask……… “what is the meaning of all this”----------and from that question, for me the next question is “what is the meaning of all this!” (Pointing at myself)

Purpose would be an easier focus. The purpose of my life could be directed at a goal, a service, relationship with others, a contribution to society through work, research, writing, or even discovery. If the purpose of one’s life was only to raise a family, that contribution alone is enough to potentially change the world.

Purpose is focused on what I do “out there”…………. What others can see and observe. Meaning, on the other hand seems to be an inside job. Purpose is what you see in me, meaning is what I live with.

I have a clear and convincing picture, at least for myself, about the purpose of Jesus life. When I am most confused about who Jesus was or is, I can always settle with saying his life served as a clear example of how to live and be in relationship with people and creation. That’s when I am most confused about Jesus. But when I am most confident and strong in my belief, I say the same thing. Jesus is the one whom I call “teacher” for living my life. It’s the word on the window behind us, “Rabboni”, teacher………the way Mary addressed Jesus in the garden after he had been in the tomb and then appeared to her. Upon recognizing him, she called him “Rabboni”.

Isn’t that enough? To find one’s teacher for life! To discover a “teaching” that serves to challenge and engage one throughout life, isn’t that enough?
To be the source of that teaching, as Jesus was for Mary, for most of you, and for me is certainly a clear and worthy purpose!
So why did the story add this resurrection piece? What was God thinking in allowing such a strange thing to happen? Good grief, look at how confusing things become when we start to untangle the resurrection. But on the other hand, look at how wide open the interpretation of our faith becomes when the resurrection is a part of our story.

Jesus lived his life with clear purpose. Jesus was crucified, died, was buried………and on the third day……….his life had meaning. In the act of his death, his life moved from purpose to meaning.

And what is that meaning? Well, have you found the answer to my first question? What is the meaning of your life? Somewhere hidden in the way we answer that question for ourselves is the answer for the meaning of Jesus life. It’s the flow of his words when he said “I am in you and you are in me. The Creator and I are one.”

I turned 54 years old yesterday. Those of you, who know me well, know that I always love a good party. My mother said that when I was a little girl “party” was one of my favorite words! Easter Sunday seems to be a really good reason to have a birthday party and wake up and smell the flowers, see the sunshine, and celebrate life kind of day! Even if I couldn’t stay up late last night!

If I follow the pattern of both parents, I have about 40 years of living left. And if the path I have ahead of me is anything like my parents, my mind and my body will serve me well.

40 years is a lot of living left to do. I’m confident that I’ve found a very good life purpose. Not only do I love my work, there are days that my work makes a clear difference for someone else. It is good to be alive! I celebrate life!

But I always ponder the meaning of it all. I’m always searching for something to explain “all this.” I often wonder, stand bewildered at the messes made in our world, hurt by the depth of despair and even hopelessness in some places and situations. When I am willing to really open my eyes and my heart to God’s creation, sure I see the beauty of the Rockies and the wonder of a tulip! I see the joy on the faces of the incredible kids in this church. I see the expectation in your eyes. But I also see changing of the earth from our own indulgences and wonder how long the tulips will bloom. I see the faces of the soldiers being killed, the innocent victims in Iraq, Afghanistan, starvation in Darfur……….and I ask “what is the meaning of it all?” Where is the resurrection?

Perhaps the meaning of the resurrection is about the journey we each take toward our death. The way we take that journey impacts the meaning of our death. Even more important, the way we take this life journey……impacts the suffering of our world, or not. Jesus had his eyes open to the suffering around him, and did all he could to alleviate that suffering. And his death had meaning. Jesus took every opportunity presented him to party and give thanks, and his death had meaning. Jesus considered the lilies of the field and could bask in their beauty, and his death had meaning.

Esther de Waal in her book The Celtic Way of Prayer says “the Celtic understanding of journey is in itself so rich and so significant. It is peregrination----seeking, quest, adventure, wandering, exile----it is ultimately a journey to find the place of my resurrection, the resurrected self, the self that I might hope to be, to become, the true self in Christ.”


I may have another 40 years to figure this out. To find that self, my true self………the one that helps me understand the meaning of my life……which is my true self in Christ. Or I may not have 40 years, or if I’m too distracted by my purpose I may never discover my meaning.

What are you banking on for the rest of your life?

A few weeks ago I heard Catholic Priest Father James Martin being interviewed on National Public Radio. (3-14-07) He said “Easter is harder to tame than Christmas.”

May you go into the world and have an extravagantly wild Easter day. May it in fact be so wild that something gets your attention, and changes the way you live the rest of your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home